Monday 2 November 2015

Virginia Tech's Frank Beamer to retire at end of season

Virginia Tech's Frank Beamer, the winningest active major college football coach, will step down after this season, the university announced in a statement Sunday afternoon.
This move is not surprising with Virginia Tech at 4-5 and struggling for bowl eligibility. The Hokies have backslid since losing the ACC Championship Game in 2011, going 26-22 over the last four years.
“I have always said that ‘I want what is best for Virginia Tech,’” Beamer said in a statement. “Because of my love and passion for this great university, this program and our tremendous fans, I have decided after 29 years that it’s time. Today, I informed (university President) Dr. Timothy Sands and (athletics director) Whit Babcock of my decision to retire at the conclusion of the 2015 season.
“I was going to wait until the end of the season to make this announcement, but I’ve always believed in being open and honest with my players and coaches. I know Hokie Nation will continue to give our players and our coaches their full support in these last three games, and hopefully through a bowl game. I will be forever grateful to everyone who made these past three decades the best years of my life. It’s an emotional day for me and my family. I am so honored and humbled to have served as your head coach."

No comments:

Post a Comment